Ursinus' beautiful 170-acre campus provides the ideal setting for liberal education. Located in small-town Collegeville, only twenty-five miles from Philadelphia, Ursinus has access to city-scale resources and opportunities while maintaining the intimate, academically-focused community of a small college campus. Academic and social life at Ursinus intersect on a graceful plaza and brick walkway linking academic buildings, residence halls, and the student center. Ursinus students have the educational and aesthetic advantages of the Philip and Muriel Berman Museum of Art, which offers exhibitions and events for the campus community and maintains an important outdoor sculpture collection. The campus setting is enhanced by the presence of a collection of outdoor sculpture by noted artists, provided through the generosity of Philip and Muriel Berman.
Notable Campus Locations
F.W. Olin Hall
F.W. Olin Hall, housing the humanities program, was dedicated in 1990 and funded entirely by a grant from the F.W. Olin Foundation. It contains a 300-seat lecture hall, a 63-seat tiered classroom, a 42-seat tiered classroom, two microcomputer laboratories, a refurbished international learning center, the college's writing center, eight traditional classrooms and four seminar rooms. It houses faculty offices for the departments of English, history, modern languages, classics, and philosophy and religion.
A major social center on campus, Wismer Center houses dining facilities, social lounges, an office complex for student activities, a snack bar, a game room and a multipurpose lounge. Its lower lounge is a focal point for student social life, and the setting for various activities. The lobby was refurbished in 1997 and includes an important bas-relief honoring the classes from the War Years. A new, two-story, spacious bookstore is part of Wismer Center.
The Library houses some 420,000 volumes and provides access via the Catalog – in print, on microfilm, or online – to the full text of over 25,000 periodical titles. It is a selective depository for U.S. Government documents and Pennsylvania documents. The library is connected to the Online Computer Library Center's bibliographic network, providing worldwide access to more than 6,500 research collections and over 21 million volumes. Students can take advantage of the Interlibrary Delivery Service to obtain library materials from other academic libraries throughout the region. As a wireless facility, the library has space for 500 persons in carrels, seminar rooms, private study rooms and lounges. The library also houses the IT Department, College Communications and Web Offices, the Pennsylvania Folklife Archives, the Ursinusiana Collection, and the Registrar Office. Library hours.
Bomberger Memorial Hall
Bomberger Memorial Hall houses classrooms, and the offices of the departments of economics and business administration, anthropology and sociology, career services, campus chaplain, study abroad and music. Bomberger Auditorium contains the Heefner Memorial Organ, a three-manual 62-rank organ dedicated in 1986—the gift of Mrs. Lydia V. Heefner in memory of her husband, Russell E. Heefner. Bomberger Hall is a Romanesque structure built in 1891 of Pennsylvania blue marble.
Thomas Hall was opened for use in September 1970 and completely renovated in 1991—rededicated by Jonas Salk. It is the home of the biology and psychology departments and the following endowed laboratories: Levi Jay Hammond Laboratory of Comparative Anatomy, the W. Wayne Babcock Laboratory of General Biology, the Anna Heinly Schellhammer Laboratory, and the Parlee Laboratory.
Pfahler Hall of Science
Pfahler Hall of Science houses classrooms and laboratories for work in chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and geology. A state-of-the-art, three-story addition was completed in 1998, and is integrated into the traditional 1932 building. The new addition contains student work spaces, and settings for faculty and students to meet, fostering collaborative teaching and learning in the sciences. Named in honor of Dr. George E. Pfahler, famed radiologist, Pfahler Hall is where Professor John Mauchly built key components of ENIAC, considered the world's first computer, and where Nobel Laureate Gerald Edelman (Ursinus Class of 1950) attended classes.
The Philip and Muriel Berman Museum of Art
The Philip and Muriel Berman Museum of Art was dedicated in 1989 and is located in the original Alumni Memorial Library, built in 1921. The museum offers exhibitions and related programming focusing on an outstanding permanent collection and a variety of touring exhibitions from around the country. The Berman Museum provides a valuable cultural resource for the campus community and the surrounding region. The facilities include: a multipurpose space for seminars, lectures, and films; a non-circulating art library focusing on important texts related to the collections and specific art reference volumes; three separate exhibition galleries; and complete storage and work areas. For research, the museum's library has an online public access catalogue terminal linked to Myrin Library.
Corson Hall is located near the main entrance to the campus and houses the Office of Admission and other administrative offices.
The Ritter Center opened in 1980 and houses the media and communication studies and art departments. An art studio, a television studio, and various classroom and auxiliary rooms can be found in Ritter.
Kaleidoscope Performing Arts Center
The building houses a 350-seat proscenium arch theater and a black box “experimental” theater, as well as teaching support space, and a gallery and work space for art students. The Kaleidoscope has a striking presence on campus and has been featured in the Chronicle of Higher Education.
The Floy Lewis Bakes Center
The Floy Lewis Bakes Center serves the academic department of Exercise and Sport Science and the Department of Athletics. The facility contains a state-of-the-art fitness center and weight room, a 200-meter indoor track, indoor tennis courts, a dance studio, three full-sized basketball courts, spacious locker rooms and team rooms, a wrestling room, classrooms, a regulation collegiate-sized swimming pool, squash and racquetball courts, and a gymnastics space.
Outdoor athletic and recreational facilities include two state of the art turf fields: Patterson Field for football, soccer, lacrosse, and track & field; and Eleanor Frost Snell Alumnae Field for field hockey. The baseball diamond, a football practice area, the Effie Brant Evans Hockey Field, Wilkes soccer field, the Eleanor Frost Snell softball field, a cross country course at Hunsberger Woods and the Ace Bailey Tennis Courts complete the outdoor fields and facilities.
The Residential Village at Ursinus is a unique mix of traditional residence halls and historic Victorian homes. All the residence halls, including two new buildings, are integrated within the campus, making for short walks to class and campus events. The Residential Village consists of approximately 30 houses in a variety of sizes, the majority of which are located on Main Street. Some house a handful of students, others house about thirty. Nearly half of our students live in these semi-private homes, often counting Ursinus faculty among their neighbors.
Hunsberger Woods is a wooded, 35-acre tract that the college jointly owns with the Borough of Collegeville. It contains running trails, open space, and a creek. In addition to recreation and relaxation, it is also used for environmental studies.