projects & Opportunities
The staff assembly works Toward implementing strategic plan
The President has designated a fund of $100,000 in support of strategic planning initiatives for Academic Year 2013-14. These are projects that directly support progress toward implementation of the Strategic Plan. Projects may include, but are not limited to: travel or other expenses needed to gather information supporting an aspect of the Strategic Plan, technologies and software, training for faculty or staff on or off the campus, costs associated with bringing a visitor to campus to offer a workshop or other activity that supports implementation of the plan, and pilot project implementation.
The Staff Assembly proposed several projects and has had four of them accepted. They are:
- Eight hundred seventy five dollars to support two StrengthsQuest workshops for college staff in January and June, 2014 CPPC members were pleased to offer support for this professional development opportunity for members of the college staff.
- Three hundred sixty dollars to support the proposed Staff Assembly workshop “Communicating with Colleagues: Active Listening and feedback Skills”, to be offered in January.
- Nine hundred twenty five dollars to support implementation of a proposal to create a CIE for Staff program. CCCP acknowledged the longtime interest in having opportunities for members of the College staff to have a firsthand experience with CIE to satisfy their own interest as well as to better understand the experience of first year students.
- Picnic on Patterson – Though partially funded by CPPC for food and prizes, planning must be creative and in coordination with Laura Moliken. CPPC did not approve a tent rental and suggested we use the one for Commencement. Though logical financially, it would not allow us to move forward with the concept of holding the event on Patterson field. Therefore, the committee suggested housing the lunch tables and food spread in the field house.
The Community Relations Committee, chaired by Valerie Nelson has been busy creating projects for the staff. The following are events that occurred in the fall. There will be more volunteer opportunities as the New Year begins. Involvement in these community based events is fun and rewarding. If you have an idea for an event or community based opportunity, please let Val Nelson know.
The Tree planting service project on October 26, 2013 was a very nicely organized activity that brought out approximately 10 staff members. Liz Cannon made all arrangements in cooperation with the Perkiomen Watershed Conservancy who supplied all tools, trees, supplies, and instructions. In attendance from staff: Logan Duffie, Ann Breen, Kate Goddard (faculty), Missy Bryant, Deb Nolan, Carolyn Weigel and spouse, William Weigel, Liz Cannon, Gabe Moliken, and Val Nelson. Thanks to everyone who came out.
The Craft Fair on November 21, 2013, coordinated by Yvon Kennon and co-sponsored by NewU, was a tremendous success. Vendor fees for table rental ($100) were donated to the American Breast Cancer Society, a cause of great importance to Carla Rinde.
Cathy Bogusky coordinated a wonderful event on Wednesday, December 11 for Staff to assist with wrapping gifts donated to UCARE for the holiday gift tree. Attending: Stacey Bohanak, Teri Lobo, Cathy Bogusky, Carol McMillin, Ann Breen, Val Nelson and, special guest wrapper, Bobby Fong.
- Coffee Breaks – Logan Duffie is planning quarterly morning coffee breaks, the first in February when Athletics and Admissions will be the featured departments. Details will be mailed soon.
- Walking Competition – Charlene Wysocki is working on developing a spring team walking competition, co sponsored by NewU. We also hope to offer a 5K in April. Details coming.
Check out upcoming Service Events Happening On Campus: