This position is responsible for interior and exterior carpentry construction and maintenance of all campus buildings at Ursinus College. Employees of Ursinus College must possess excellent customer service skills and have an overall concern for the general welfare of the college and community and provide the best possible environment for education and student living.
- Follow established safety rules and regulations and maintain a safe and clean environment, including securing the work area and posting proper notices for other users of the space.
- Install materials or fixtures such as forms, concrete, studs, drywall, windows, glass, flooring, ceilings, partitions, trim, hardware, spackling, painting, coatings, counter tops, cabinet or furniture using carpenter’s hand and power tools.
- Handle, move, and relocate construction materials, assembles, fixtures, or furniture using manual lifting, non-powered material handling equipment, or powered material handling equipment.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on all equipment and campus buildings, including troubleshooting and repairs
- Perform selective demolition of structures or assemblies.
- Evaluate tasks and study specifications on work orders, drawings and sketches to prepare project layout, determine dimensions, time & material needs, and efficient method to complete projects.
- Establish work priorities, including completing work orders and progress reports.
- Snow removal as required.
- Special events support as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 1-3 years of relevant skilled trade experience or post-secondary education in related field.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the proper use of carpenter’s hand tools such as tape measures, hammers, utility knives, screw drivers, squares, levels, saws, pry bars, wrenches, pliers, chisels, lasers and string lines.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the proper use of carpenter’s power tools such as cordless drill/driver, circular saws, jig saws, reciprocating saws, concrete saws, hammer drills, table saws, miter saws, routers, and nail guns.
- Skilled in the safe operation of motor vehicles.
- Ability to operate equipment such as skid loaders, backhoes, forklifts, and high reaches.
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal, hand written, electronic) with faculty and staff, suppliers, customers and other business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to efficiently complete task in both independent and teamwork settings.
- Ability to read and understand basic drawings and blueprints.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work hours outside of normal workweek, including weekends, evenings and on-call emergencies as needed.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Metal fabrication and welding.
- Flooring installation.
- Concrete & masonry.
- Supply own transportation (mileage on campus is reimbursed).
Anticipated Start Date
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an AA/EO employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.