Denise Felsenstein has been a lecturer for the Health and Exercise Physiology (HEP) Department since 2018.
Dr. Felsenstein attained her Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP) degree in 2017 from the University of Minnesota. She has been practicing as a Registered Nurse and a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner for approximately 30 years. She has practiced nursing in California, Florida, and Pennsylvania. She has also been working as a Long-term Freelance Consultant for Lippincott / Wolters Kluwer Publishing Company for approximately 20 years.
Dr. Felsenstein volunteers her time to provide care to indigent patients as a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner at St. Agnes Nurses Center in West Chester, PA. She also volunteers her time at Blue Bell Place retirement facility assisting with exercise classes, and also provides various lectures to the residents.
Dr. Felsenstein traveled to Cuba in May 2018 with MEDICC, a group of healthcare professionals, to learn about their public healthcare system. She presented a lecture at a HEP Journal Club in February 2019 on this topic. In 2017, she attended a global health program in Reykjavik, Iceland to learn about Iceland’s healthcare system. In Iceland, she participated in a project addressing the Syrian refugee crisis and her group, which included Icelandic and US nurses, won an award for Innovative Ideas.
B.S.N., Thomas Jefferson University
M.S.N., University of Miami
Post-Master’s Certificate in Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Program, University of Pennsylvania
D.N.P. (Doctorate in Nursing Practice), University of Minnesota
HEP-240 Stress Management
HEP-333 Drugs & Alcohol
Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner at St. Agnes Nurses Center in West Chester, Pennsylvania
Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner at Norristown OB/GYN Assoc. P.C. in Norristown, Pennsylvania
Clinical Educator of One Family Place at Boca Raton Community Hospital in Boca Raton, Florida
Home Health Admissions Director at Atlantic AllCare Inc in Deerfield Beach, Florida
Hospital Educator at Bethesda Memorial Hospital in Boynton Beach, Florida
Labor & Delivery Nurse at Bethesda Memorial Hospital in Boynton Beach, Florida
Registered Nurse at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California
- Women’s health issues
- Access of healthcare for underserved patient populations
- Improving quality and access of healthcare for LGBTQ+ patient populations
- Public health initiatives to increase health promotion and illness prevention
Felsenstein, D. R. (2019). Providing culturally sensitive nursing care for vulnerable immigrant populations. Creative Nursing, 25(2), DOI: 10.1891/1078-45184.108.40.206
- Contributing author for the Nurse Practitioner section of the doctoral nursing textbook: Zaccagnini, M. & Pechacek, J. M. (2019). The Doctor of Nursing Practice Essentials: A new model for advanced practice nursing (4th ed). Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA.Quality improvement project in a primary care clinic to enhance clinic lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) cultural competence.
- Poster presentation at the Pennsylvania Coalition of Nurse Practitioner (PCNP) Conference in Erie, PA (November 2017). Presented posted titled, “Enhancing Clinic Lesbian, Gay Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Cultural Competencies” to nurse practitioner attendees.
- Author of article “Enhancing lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender cultural competence in a Midwestern primary care clinic setting” published in the May 2018 issue of Journal for Nurses in Professional Development.
- Co-author of online long-term care educational programs for Wolters Kluwer Health. Program topics include: elopement; safety issues; risk management; and high risk occurrence prevention.
- Contributed article content for: Zarif, M. “Feeling Shame: Insights on intimate partner violence” in the Journal of Christian Nursing (2011).
- Author of “State by state guide for RN license renewal requirements 2009”.