The Director of Sports Medicine will provide leadership, management, and oversight of the Sports Medicine and Strength and Conditioning programs with a focus on preventing injuries and optimizing student-athlete performance. The Director is responsible for the successful implementation of high-performance strategies and management outcomes under the supervision of the college physician and with assistance from the orthopedic doctor. The successful candidate must be organized and self-motivated, have outstanding leadership skills, and have a strong knowledge of leading-edge sports medicine and sports performance trends and strategies. The Director must be familiar with NCAA sports medicine standards.
Ursinus College, located in Collegeville, PA participates at the NCAA Division III level and within the highly regarded Centennial Conference. The college proudly sponsors 25 NCAA DIII teams.
- Oversee the clinical and administrative operation of athletic training services, sports medicine, and strength and conditioning areas for Ursinus College Athletics as directed by the Physician.
- Establish Injury Management Protocol and Emergency Medical Plan with the Physician.
- Ensure compliance with all College, conference, and NCAA rules and regulations related to medical care for student athletes.
- Serve as the NCAA required Health Care Athletics Administrator.
- Manage and supervise sports medicine staff and S&C staff in a manner that is consistent with the written or verbal instructions of the Physician.
- Evaluate staff members through annual performance review.
- Coordinate with Associate Vice President and/or Deputy AD on campus healthcare and support services for student-athletes.
- Manage day-to-day operations including but not limited to:
- Determine staffing coverage at games, practices and events
- Oversee the hiring and supervision of athletic training aides (students)
- Oversee, coordinate, and supervise the practical experience for all West Chester University students (undergraduate and graduate students)
- Oversee (1) Graduate Assistant student (West Chester University)
- Communicate frequently with the Deputy AD and/or coaches regarding schedules and coverage
- Coordinate with athletic trainers to maintain CEUs for licensing.
- Work with athletic training staff on diagnosis, treatment, and rehab programs for complex cases.
- Work with insurance broker to get bids for secondary coverage and to determine coverage.
- Develop, negotiate, and oversee contractual partnerships with outside healthcare and wellness providers.
- Present regularly to all staff about sports medicine practices, updates, and new legislation.
- Establish and coordinate Pre-Participation Evaluations (PPE’s) for all 25 NCAA Division III teams.
- Develop an annual operating budget and oversee the purchasing of sports medicine clinic supplies and equipment.
- Oversee drug testing as needed
- Serve as a member of Athletic Administration Senior Staff.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Athletic Training, Sport or Exercise Science or related discipline.
- Minimum of 10+ years clinical experience beyond graduate school, in an athletic training/collegiate setting.
- Experience in collaborating with or leading sports medicine, sports technology, strength and conditioning, and nutrition programs.
- Experience at the NCAA Division III level. Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Experience with administration and leadership.
- Certified Athletic Trainer credential by National Athletic Trainers Association.
- Current PA State licensure
- Experience as NCAA health care administrator is preferred.
Anticipated Start Date
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an EO/AA employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.