The Digital Communications Specialist is a content creator who contributes to the editorial responsibilities for the communications team in the Office of College Communications. This individual is a digital storyteller and reporter who thinks unconventionally in curating and creating compelling original content for the primary Ursinus College online news hub; the print and digital versions of Ursinus Magazine and other digital publications; and social media, including (but not limited to) video, audio/podcast production, and written articles.
The Digital Communications Specialist works with the Director of Communications and the Media and Communications Manager to maintain a weekly editorial calendar and produce a weekly news podcast; and independently writes, records, and edits original and complementary digital content that can also be used to communicate key messages to internal audiences, and can be utilized in the college’s official marketing and public relations materials.
- Serve as a “digital reporter/storyteller” and work with the communications team to produce compelling digital media featuring faculty, students, staff, and alumni across all departments and disciplines.
- Create complementary and standalone video and audio vignettes for the college’s online news hub, the digital version of Ursinus Magazine, research magazine, arts magazine, annual report, and all other digital publications.
- Write, produce, and edit a weekly news podcast for the online news hub.
- Produce content specifically designed for the college’s official social media channels that promote a high level of campus engagement.
- Create original digital content with an internal communications focus in order to disseminate information about key college priorities and strategies to employees via the college’s website and faculty/staff page.
- Create content specifically designed to engage the media, prospective students and families, alumni, and donors.
- Work with all other individuals within the communications office (web, marketing, creative, athletics) to ensure that content is shared and repackaged for different media and across multiple storytelling channels.
- Contribute to editorial planning meetings and assist in managing the editorial calendar and news website.
- Assist with writing stories for the website and print publications as needed.
- Assist with social media messaging and social media monitoring.
- Ensure that all content aligns with the college’s editorial style guide and visual identity.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area (Journalism, English, Digital Media) and 1-3 years of relevant experience, with a particular focus on digital media, video production, photography, and podcasting.
- Ability to work independently, quickly, and on deadline to conduct interviews and write, produce, and edit digital content, including, but not limited to video and audio/podcasting.
- Demonstrated expertise in social media and contemporary digital media platforms.
- Ability to envision, storyboard, and tell a compelling story in the digital space.
- Familiarity with higher education, with specific preference for a knowledge and affinity for the liberal arts ethos
Interested candidates should apply here. Once you create an applicant account, you will be prompted to upload your cover letter, resume, and a list with contact information for three references to the applicant database.
Ursinus is an AA/EO employer. Ursinus College does not discriminate on grounds of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or other classification protected by applicable law in the administration of any of its educational programs or activities or with respect to employment.