WHAT IS AN EXTERNSHIP?
An externship is an opportunity to have your questions answered by an alumni with experience in a field you are considering as a possible career through professional experiences and conversations.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE EXTERN PROGRAM?
The Extern Program is open to Ursinus College students of all class years and majors, at least 18 years or older.
- Preference will be given to second, third and fourth year students.
- Additional consideration will be given to students who have not had an externship.
- Additional consideration will be given to students who have attended the Extern Program Made Easy information session.
- Some Workplace Sponsors may restrict their Externships to certain majors or years; this will be noted in the specific Externship description.
WHO IS AN EXTERN SPONSOR?
Extern Sponsors are generally alumni of Ursinus, Current or Past parents of Ursinus students, and friends of the College.
WHEN DO THE EXTERNSHIPS TAKE PLACE?
Externships scheduled during Winter Break will take place the week of January 2-6, 2022 or January 9-13, 2022. Spring 2022 externships take place between March 6 and March 10. Extern Sponsors specify which days in the week they are available. Most externships are three to five days in length.
WHERE WILL THE EXTERNSHIPS TAKE PLACE?
Externship assignments take place in various working environments, from laboratories to environmental interest groups to publishing companies. Externships are hosted in a variety of cities and states. Most externships are concentrated near the cities of Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, Boston and Washington D.C.
WILL I BE PAID DURING THE EXTERNSHIP?
Externs are not paid for their experience.
HOW WILL I GET TO AND FROM MY EXTERNSHIP?
Students are responsible for all travel planning and expenses, meals and housing connected with the Externship.
WHAT WILL I NEED TO DO TO PREPARE FOR AN EXTERNSHIP?
- Ask your Extern Sponsor for material, information, websites, etc. that would be helpful for you to review before your externship starts.
- Be open-minded. Your externship may not be what you expect or exactly what you thought you requested. This is a learning opportunity so ask questions and ask to meet with other workplace colleagues when appropriate.
- Be willing to work and observe. Most externships involve observing the Extern Sponsor and actual work. Because this is a short time period, work projects may be limited in scope.
- Everyone you meet is a possible career mentor and job/internship contact. One of the most important benefits of the program will be the contacts you make.
- Collect lots of business cards or contacts and write thank-you notes to anyone who went out of their way to make your externship interesting and/or comfortable.
- Enjoy yourself and the alums/professional friends of UC. You will find you have much in common!
An externship is an opportunity to have your questions answered by someone with experience in a field you are considering as a possible career. In addition to helping you consider career choices, you will gain opportunities for networking and informational interviewing. Activities you may become involved with as an extern include:
- Observe work being performed by the Extern Sponsor or his/her co-workers
- Speak with Extern Sponsor about career field, career path, job responsibilities, experiences
- Attend staff or committee meetings or presentations
- Take a tour of the organization
- Attend a training program designed for new employees
- Complete or assist with a sampling of work assignment
- Observe interactions with the organization’s clients
- Develop relationships with professionals and build your professional network
- Plan a meeting with the hiring staff to understand what they look for in college graduates
- Connect with Ursinus College alumni who work at the organization
- Meet young, recently hired staff to understand their experiences
- Explore careers and work environments and test interests
- Gain exposure to the expectations and culture of organizations, as well as workplace dynamics
- Learn and practice appropriate business etiquette
- Participate in informational interviews with staff members to understand the organization, industry and future trends, and career paths within this field.
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR AN EXTERNSHIP?
Please review the Extern Program Website to learn details about the externship application. The application process is maintained online through Handshake. The deadline to submit all application materials for the 2023 Winter Extern Program is 5:00 pm on Wednesday, October 19, 2022. The deadline to submit all application materials for the 2023 Spring Extern Program is 5:00 pm on Wednesday, February 8, 2023. All application materials, including a resume and essay, must be uploaded to Handshake for your application to be considered complete.
Can I get credit or meet the XLP requirement with an externship?
An externship does not earn credit nor meet the XLP requirement.
WHO CAN I CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS?
Contact Career and Post-Graduate Development at email@example.com or 610-409-3599 with any questions about the program.