Interviewing and Networking
Job Hunters often make the mistake of working incredibly hard to secure an interview and then neglect to prepare. Preparation is required for an effective interview.
Networking is the number one strategy for helping students identify job openings and get jobs. Research shows that 85% of job opportunities are never advertised and that informational interviewing and networking can be your key to the “hidden job market”.
What is Informational Interviewing?
An informational interview is just what it sounds like – an interview designed to gather information. It is an opportunity to “test” a career by going to talk to a person who is actually doing the work you would like to do. The purpose is to gain current “insider” information on various aspects of working in the field including typical entry level positions, educational background required, keys to success, typical career paths, work environments, etc. All students and alumni, regardless of the stage of their career development, can benefit from this career-search tool. Review the Guide to Information Interviewing.
UConnect Alumni Networking Resource
UConnect is an Ursinus student/alumni networking program designed to give every student the opportunity to network with alumni. UConnect is a great way to receive career advice and support from alumni dedicated to every student’s success. UConnect makes networking accessible for all students in an easy, straight forward format. Access a list of participating alumni in Handshake.
How to participate:
- Visit your Handshake account and click “Career Center, Resources”
- Click the link to the UConnect webpage
- Read the profiles of the alumni and decide who to connect with
- Send a message via LinkedIn with questions or a request for an informational interview
There is no limit to how many alumni you are allowed to reach out to! They are all willing to help and waiting for your messages on LinkedIn. Whether you are interested in grad school, marketing, government, science and technology, medicine, or business, you are bound to find someone to connect to that will help you explore your career options and opportunities. Don’t hesitate to contact an alum today!
LinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking site. It is an interconnected network of experienced professionals from around the world, representing 170 industries and 200 countries.
- LinkedIn Guide
- Your Career Starts Here (LinkedIn Video)
- LinkedIn 101: Using LinkedIn to Land You Dream Job Before You Graduate
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist
- Career Explorer — uncover potential career paths and see how your skills match to real job titles
- Add your Ursinus education to your LinkedIn profile by clicking on the Add to profile button . Members with education on their profile get 7x more views.
- Join Ursinus College Alumni Group on LinkedIn, which connects UC Bears around the world.
Use LinkedIn Jobs to harness the power of your network to uncover insights such as whom you know at a company, providing you an edge in your job search.
Ursinus College alumni are a vital partner in providing opportunities and career advice for our students. We encourage you to consider posting full-time positions and internships with us, serving as an Extern Sponsor, or making yourself available to network with students and other alumni. Email us for additional information.